Thursday, January 10, 2008

A look at last year Part III (Wrapping it up)

It's now the weekend past Thanksgiving. I've been out on a few first dates but nothing more. Not one guy I've gone out with has really grabbed my attention. That's quite alright. I'm not about to settle.

You will never guess who I hear from... yep that's right, Harley. I was super surprised and not to say a little stunned. Especially when I get texts from him that read "Just wanted to say happy belated thanksgiving". So I ask who it is as I don't recognize the number. I get this reply, "Harley you probably deleted my number I also wanted to say I am sorry for how things went." I'm thinking okay. He shoots another one off, "I also realized just how big a mistake I made and wanted to apologize to you, and see if we still could be friends?" Sure why not. We really only hung out a week before you went and were a jerkface. So I tell him this (without the jerkface part) and proceed to ask him how his Thanksgiving went. He goes, "My weekend sucks because I am beginning to think I made a mistake, a mistake which screwed up 5 months." Seriously. I couldn't make this crap up if I tried. "Do you think there would be any chance to get back to what we had or is it done and over?" (Yes I have these gems word for word. This kind of poetry doesn't fall into your lap everyday. I made sure to email these to myself for a good laugh at a later date. LATER DATE.)

I'm not usually one for second chances but what the hell. He passed the bullshit meter of one of my besties the first time. She was super stunned when he turned out to be a jerk in July. I liked him. Harley is good looking, pretty smart, and has a lot of things that I'm looking for in a man. So he is calling/texting me everyday. He comes over a few times that week and then exams start. I don't hear from him for an entire week. Whatever Jerkface. I delete his number and plan to move on. During this time I meet, let us call him Canada, online. Yes I do the online dating. I've tried just about every medium there is for dating at least once. Hell. I did online dating before online dating was popular. Call me a pioneer.

Canada and I have great phone conversations. He seems pretty cute. So we decide to meet in person a week after initially meeting. First meeting goes well. He is a little shorter than I usually like my men to be but I'm hoping that I can deal with this. Guess who pops back into my life this same day? Go on guess. Drum roll please. Harley. With some lame ass excuse that I of course buy. So now I am talking to two guys who are both leaving to go on their respective vacations from the middle of December to the New Year.

During the two weeks that they are gone I hear from both of them. Awesome. Then it happens again. Canada gets back from his vacation and I get a weird, kinda lame, generic message from him. He was my facebook friend so I go and check out his page. In a relationship. WTF? What is wrong with these men that don't have the guts to tell you straight up. So I delete his number and ignore all of his requests for communication. I don't need an explanation. You were too short for me anyways.

This leaves me all alone with Harley. He surprises me on New Years Eve by being back a few days early to work so I go up and see him at work. He knew that my friends and I weren't going to pay the cover to get in for the NYE party so he wanted to wait until it all died down before he called. He gets off work and we hang out at his place until 5am. He comes over Wednesday night for dinner and movies. I think that things are going pretty good. Friday night before he goes to work he drops off a movie that my mom and sister mentioned that they wanted to watch. How sweet is that?

My friends and I go out to said restaurant that Harley works at for drinks. Two of our group are leaving on Saturday morning so we wanted one last hurrah together. I ask Harley if he would mind being my ride home. He says sure. We don't sit in his section because he is working and I don't want to bother him. I get nice and toasted and at 2am go to look for him so that he can take me home or we can hang out for a little or whatever. HE IS GONE. I call him a handful of times and only leave one message. He never answers. Saturday I call him and tell him I was drunk and sorry if I sounded bitchy the night before, I didn't mean to. And I ask him what happened that he left without telling me. (He was my ride.) I don't hear back from him. I don't hear from him until Monday night. I had sent a text asking him if we were still talking because I had been getting mixed signals from him and I was super confused. He sends "With all said and done I don't know." Excuse me? What has been said and done? I'm super confused and at this point super done. Whatever Jerkface! He gets deleted from my phone and my life.

My life is not a game of baseball. There is no three strikes and you are out rule. I give one chance and if you blow it that's it. I've saved myself a lot of heartache over the years sticking to that. I don't know what made me change my mind for Harley but I won't do it again. I don't like making the same mistakes over and over again. I like making new ones and learning from them (or at least pretending to learn from them). That way I can pass on my knowledge to others.

No comments: